Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Speech and some rambling

I watched president Obama's speech this morning. His speech was at a highschool in Arlington, Virginia. There was a lot of debate on the speech, it was asked that schools allow their students to watch it live from their class room tv's. The speech was directed solely at students. There were a few school boards that decided that it wasn't the best option, instead that they were going to record it and then decide whether or not they should show it to their students. I also saw that there were a bit of people protesting outside the school where the speech was taking place, people were saying that he is attempting to brainwash the youth. There was even one quote taken from somewhere, that said President Obama was trying to brainwash the younger generation like hitler. I thought that was just a bit overboard. I watched the speech myself and although there was a part where he said that it isn't likely they would become rappers or basketball players the rest of the speech wasn't bad. There are two sides to everything, I mean I agree that there are some tests and schooling programs that are just outrageously hard but I think the mind set is something to work on. So much of the world thinks that school is just this nagging thing you have to get through. But I don't think it should be looked at like that. I think the education should be viewed by itself. I agree that actual school is a little hard to handle at times. But, the learning shouldn't be. When kids have these horrible experiences with other students or with teachers it puts a bad taste in their mouth on the whole educational process and that's just a shame. I thoroughly enjoy learning. Infact on my nightstand right now is an oversized hardbound book on america's history, it's called 'this fabulous century, 1900-1910' I have it just because. But as you all know I'm also the type who doesn't do well in public schools. So I'm happy with the fact that he is trying to encourage the younger generation to work hard for what they want and deserve. I'm thinking what most of the debate and misunderstanding is simply that people tend to argue about getting to the same destination a different way. I dont think anyone would honestly say that it is horrible he is encouraging children to learn and strive for their deserved education, but I do think people would rather him do it their way. And that's just not possible all the time, if everyone did the same things the same way there would be no individuality there wouldn't even be a need for freedom of speech all in all it would defeat most of what america stands for. Like it or not we are all different and that includes our president. He is his own person and rightfully so.

1 comment:

  1. That is cool you watched it, I didn't get to see it cause I was at the dr. That book on your night stand sounds very interesting, nice reading.

    ReplyDelete